CORPORATE OPERATIONS PLAN
Decrease green house gas emissions associated with employee transportation and delivery from 39.885 tons of CO2 in 2007 to 30 tons by 2010.
- Minimize driving, encourage carpooling and the use of public transportation.
- Fuel Efficient Company Cars: purchase or lease only hybrid vehicles in the future. Use fuel-efficient vehicles for delivery if possible.
- Use Carbon footprint calculator to measure the CO2 footprint for improvement and offsetting. (http://www.carbonfootprint.com/index.html)
- Offset Air travel emissions: Assess air miles traveled on business trips to determine environmental impact. Choose to purchase shipped material rather than aired material. (www.carbonfund.org)
2. Office Water Use
Decrease office water consumption.
- Assess current office water use.
- Install only water efficient plumbing fixtures.
- Eliminate bottled-water, use filtered water or water-tank.
- Install water filter-system (Brita, etc) rather than ordering water tank/bottled water.
3. Office Energy Use
Decrease office energy consumption and associated green house gas emissions.
- Assess current energy consumption. (17.867 tones of building energy CO2/yr)
- Reduce lighting energy consumption by switching to energy-saving light bulbs, and installing sky lights. Replace incandescent lamps with fluorescent lamps.
- Replace CRT monitors with LCD monitors.
- Educate employees to decrease consumption of energy in the shop.
- Install proper insulation to save heat.
- Educate employees of mercury content and how to properly discard CFLs (energy saving fluorescent light). (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp#Energy_savings)
4. Office Consumables
Minimize office waste and purchase of non-sustainable office supplies.
- Assess current office procurement strategies.
- Use only recycled paper/envelope/file, shipping/packaging material and reduce paper consumption by printing on both sides.
(Improve % of recycled content by 30% in copy paper, 100% in bathroom/kitchen used products.)
- Recycle shredded paper as packing and shipping materials.
- Reuse packaging materials.
- Only use 100% recycled toilet paper and paper towel.
- Only use environmentally friendly kitchen supplies, and bio-detergent.
- Only use environmentally friendly Janitorial supplies (non-toxic, biodegradable, and Green Seal www.greenseal.org products).
- Chose environmentally friendly Office supplies and methods (refill ink etc.)
- Incorporate an office recycling program and educate staff on recycling methods.
5. Recycle (Shop Consumable)
Minimize shop waste and purchase of non-recyclable and non-reusable materials.
Corporate Recycling Program
Reduce the use of PVC, MDO, and Plywood.
Reduction by 50% in non-biodegradable or non-recyclable PVC use in the next five years.
- Work with companies with environmental missions/statement and recycling programs. (Information available upon request.)
- Encourage customers to use alternative sustainable options, (replace use of PVC with (EcoBoard) 100% recycled cardboard, biodegradable banner stock, FSC certified wood, (http://www.fscus.org/, etc).
- Educate employees to minimize waste in production process.
- Hire a stuff to help shape office policy, enforce new policy and educate clients on green alternatives.
- Purchase green-certified products as much as possible and large purchases are made ideally from companies with environmental mission.
- Actively involve with Green organizations locally and internationally.
(Priority is a member of Build-it-Green, US Green Building Council.)
- Familiarize employee with LEED program (www.usgbc.org) to enable to earn points with our products.
- Attend meetings & workshops that educate in sustainable products and business.